Last week I took my last MBA class, Venture Capital, which lived up to its reputations of being one of the most interesting classes in the program. In the end I managed to shave a year off the part-time program by taking plenty of spring/summer classes, but now the real work begins.
It's funny, when people hear I finished the MBA program their immediate response is ' Wow, you must be so relieved!' Sure, the program was a bit stressful, but the bigger stress is now trying to plot out the next steps in my career.
My strongest interests lie in renewable energy and sustainable development. Ideally I'd like to work for a relatively small firm in this area, helping them to grow through financing, strategic planning, sales, operational improvements, etc. The trick is moving from software development into higher level business roles. I believe the first step is to move into a business analyst position, which would allow me to leverage my IT background while exposing me to business processes and such.
The next step would be to identify companies in my area of interest, attempt to develop some connections and keep my eyes out for opportunities. However, my current employer is great to work for and they treat me well, so I will try to go as far as possible with them first.
No comments:
Post a Comment