Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Backyard Chicken Proposal

There seems to be a lot of buzz lately about backyard chickens and the proposed pilot project in Edmonton, Alberta. I'm sure you've heard every argument pro and con already, so I won't belabor those points. And what I do want to point out, you probably already know so I'll keep it short:

Probably 15% think it's a cool idea, of which 1% would actually consider doing it (if that)
Probably 15% think it's a terrible idea
And the remaining 70% couldn't care less either way.

Of course you will only hear from the vocal 30%. So where do you place the 70% that don't care? Do we deny people the right to raise their own food to appease the 15% when the majority isn't opposed? Sure, these numbers were 'plucked' from thin air, but they can't be far off, and unfortunately polls will only ever get responses from the 30%.

Just a thought. Sadly, the squeaky wheel usually gets the grease, but I'm hopeful that logic and reason will prevail.

No comments: